Monday 18 October 2010

And the winner is Chemo!

I decided to do the chemo. After a lot of reading, feedback from forums (tc-cancer.com) and talking it through with friends, I feel it was the right decision.

Last Wednesday I had my kidney function test. Then I had the procedure on Friday. I arrived at Charing Cross Hospital with my wonderful girlfriend. She has been the major support throughout the entire experience. Without her I would be a mess. We met with my doc briefly, then we waited about 4 hours before a nurse took us in. I sat in a chair. As soon as I saw the tray of needles and tubes I started to sweat. It's not the pain. Often I don't even feel it. It's the idea of a long thin piece of metal that stirs this phobia. I know, it's irrational. The nurse said, "Don't worry, I'll give you a the smallest needle the one we give to little girls," in a Filipino accent.  She jabbed me and hooked me up to an intravenous drip. Have a look under Delivery on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotherapy

This is also a good source of info on chemotherapy: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/chemotherapy-and-you

I was given a single dose of Carboplatin. Have a look at this leaflet, a good overview on what it is and side effects: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/docmetadata.cfm?orgid=357&id=92730

It took an hour and I was allowed to go home. I felt a little strange, but I was able to eat that afternoon. The next morning I felt terrible. It was like a hangover. The idea of food made me feel ill. I had a headache. My muscles and joints ached. I spent the day in bed. Sunday wasn't much different. Monday feeling tired, but much better. I'm at work.

3 comments:

  1. have you been able to eat something today? how did today go at work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris. My name is João, i'm 21, and i live in portugal, 20 km away from porto. I was diagnosed with testicular cancer last month and i already got the OR. Next friday i'm going to the hospital to meet with a medic group (being them urologists/onconlogists) to decide if i get any treatment or just survaillance. I'm feeling really good, i'm an active person and i'm finishing my degree at uni. I'm glad your girlfriend has been a major support to you. You know how these times maybe hard for us. By the way, I have a prosthetic testicle and thats not a major concern for me. I just hope i get better soon. I'll keep you updated, i don't know why. Thank you for this blog man, it's really helping me through. All the best, wish you get well soon. João.

    PS: How long is gonna be your chemo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone here i think would have gotten a piece of their share from cancer, with some being able to survive and others dying even with the high efforts of oncologists. I had lungs cancer due to the fact that i was a hardcore smoker Due to the terrain in Alaska. I started to have symptoms in 2008 and i was diagnosed in April 2009. Several treatment therapies like chemotherapy and radiotherapy were prescribed but none seemed to help me. I had just less than a year to live. Less than 6 months to go i read about Doctor Roland who is a herbal doctor that treats cancer. At first i doubted because my case was chronic and even if he could help it was already late. I had nothing to lose so i contacted him and he was very encouraging even in my condition and i placed an order for the herbal medicine which i used for 3 months. Even before i was done using it i felt strong and after it all i went for diagnosis and i tested negative. This is a permanent cure because it's been three years from my supposed death and i am still very strong and alive. Do not give up soon on yourself just reach him on (dr.rolandoscar@gmail.com) i am positive that if i can be cured you too can. I pray for all cancer patients worldwide.

    ReplyDelete